Friday, August 18, 2023

How to prepare for hurricane season part one

 





Hurricane Season has just started. I have been preparing for it. I have a lot of things I already own but are planning to get more.  Because of some the experiences I have you can't be too prepared. 


I have always been prepared for storms. The reason is because of where I live. Since I live on the southern part of the US, I have seen a lot of storms. 


Contains affiliate links in which I earn a small commission for you clicking and or purchasing any of these items. Thank you for your support!

Some have gone by. Others have caused major damages or outages in my area. One of the worst was Matthew. Which caused damage to my parents' home. 

Since that has happened, I have been ready. I keep my bags packs packed. In case I have to leave my home. I also keep supplies on hand. The supplies I need and they things I want to protect, just in case the worst happens. 


This list is made for incase the lights go out. I also included things if there is damage. I also include things you may need if you get injured. 


That is why I am sharing with you some of the items on my list. I also give you some more suggestions. Inexpensive items that you get from your local dollar store. 


Disclaimer: If you don't experience Hurricanes, you experience some weather event in your area. It can be fire, floods, snowstorms, etc.  


If you don't experience any weather event, then you are lucky. You can still use these things if you go camping or the lights go out. 



Most of the things I added, are things that you may already have in your home. For example, batteries for any device you may own. Your flashlights and radios. 


You can also get small little lights from Dollar Tree. You can use them by your bed side. If the lights, go out it would really help. I have a few that are in my room now. 


If you need cleaning products. You can also try to get some from dollar stores. Cleaning brushes, scrubbers, or mops. You will need cleaning items just in case you experience any damage to your home. 


Thermal Hot and Cold bags are another thing you can get. If you have anything that needs to be kept cold, you can keep in there. 


Now let us get to the items. The things you don't won't from dollar stores. 




1.USB Fan   If the lights go out, you will need this. Get a fan that you can charge with usb. 



Another Find Here

2. Travel Duffle 


For those who may want to leave before the storm comes you would need a good bag. LLBean makes some of the sturdiest bags for travel. 




 

3. I brought a pair of boots like these. They will come in handy if you have a storm. This will protect your feet from any water or mud. 


4. Insect Repellant 

With all that rain means bugs. You will need insect repellant to keep them of you. 





5. Light and Fan 


You will need a flashlight or lantern if the lights go out. 


This Fan and Light can be battery operated and you can use it to store items in. 

You could also use this light that is rechargeable: here

6.  Sunblock  
Once the clouds are gone, the sun will come out. Especially if you have to clean up your yard upside. 






7. Gloves

Gloves in case any gets hurt well the storm goes on. 





8. Radio


With lights being out you will need a radio. To either entertain you or keep track of what is going on. 



9. Toothpaste 

For those who may have to travel or leave get travel size items. That way you can make room for all your other essentials. 





10. Deodorant 

Also get travel size deodorant. 





11.Lotion 


You will also need lotion. Just get a few bottles for the road. 



12. Body Wash 

The same goes for your body wash. 





13. First Aid Wipes

Wipes for anyone that gets injured. 




14. Fan

This is a fan I actually have. It works well and charges in no time. This would be good as a personal fan to have. 



15. Face Masks 

Face masks are needed during clean up. You don't to breath in anything that is not clean or safe like mold. 



16. Hand sanitizer

Hand sanitizer is good to have just in case something happens to your water. 




17.Power Bank 
 A power bank to charge your electronics. 



18. Poncho

A poncho will keep you from getting wet if you have to get out during before the storm gets bad. 


19. Bandaids 

Just in case someone gets injured. 



20. Tissue Paper 

Is a household staple that you probably already have. 


21. Indoor insect catcher 

If you have standing water in your yard after a storm, you may have problems with insects. This catcher last for two weeks. 

22. Disposable Razors



23. Water 

You will need water to drink and bath with during a storm. 


You also need water for plants and appliances. That is when you will need distilled water.