Monday, January 29, 2024

Book Review of the Proposal

 





What would you do if your boyfriend surprised you with a proposal at a Dodgers baseball game?


Would you accept? Or would you turn him down gently?

Well, this happened to Nikole, the female main character in the book called The Proposal.


Disclaimer: 

Contains affiliate links and widgets from Books Amillion and Collective Voice in which I earn a small commission for you clicking and or purchasing any of these items. Thank you for your support.


Brief introduction


The Proposal is Jasmine Guillory's second book. Reese Witherspoon featured this book in her book club. The Proposal was the first romance novel in Reese Witherspoon, Hello Sunshine book club. Nikole is a Black female journalist who wants to be at home, finishing a story with a glass of bourbon. But she decides to go to a game with her boyfriend, Fisher, and his friends. 

Suddenly Fisher is pointing to a wide screen. One the screen is, will you marry me, Nicole.” Nikole tries to say no quietly. But the cameras are on her. So are the eyes of thousands of baseball fans. After she says no, the Fisher storms out. Dr. Carlos, a Latino pediatrician, swoops in and saves her from the intrusive camera crew.  

“I get trying to make a big romantic gesture and all, and wanting a surprise, but . . .” Deciding to spend your life together shouldn’t be a surprise,” Angela said. “It should be something the two of you talk about first!”

Jasmine Guillory, The Proposal:

 

Analysis

 

The opening scene was exciting and nerve-wracking to me. Nikole would handle this surprise proposal. Fisher did not explode into a violent rage, but he was behaving like a child. I felt so much empathy for her because he was embarrassing. I wanted to punch him myself. He was an unlikely character which is the intention of the author. 

Guillory did not make an intensive introduction about Fisher. Fisher's description focuses on his man bun in the first few pages. I believe the author did this because Fisher was a superficial person. Nikole stayed with Fisher because he did not take his relationship with her seriously. Fisher was too shallow for that. 

 His only concern was his appearance (abs and hair) and how others saw him. He was a jerk who did not respect Nik. He did not need character development. Fisher was a prop to show Nikole’s development. 

 The female love interest description was detailed. The author wants to focus on Nikole and why she picked Fisher. This is not Nikole’s first breakup. She had suffered heartbreak and rejection before.


“I’ve spent so long being afraid of love, because the last time I was in love, the man I loved only loved one part of me, but not all of me, and I thought love meant having to sacrifice a part of yourself. But then I was with you, and you loved every part of me, even the parts I didn’t like. And that scared me more because I thought there must be some trick and that I couldn’t let myself believe it or I’d fall into the trap."-Nikole


Jasmine Guillory, The Proposal:

 

This book was not a slow burn like I expected since Nikole did not want a rebound relationship. Nikole wanted something peaceful, intimate, and fun. It could have been more passionate. I wish the author had allowed them to remain friends longer before being intimate. Writing it that way would have allowed the characters to be sensual. 


The love scenes are not toe-curling. Nik and Carlos only talked about how much they love each other or how much they love touching one another. I wanted more tension and descriptions in those moments. Their relationship was hidden (they did not want anyone to know), and there should been more passion. 

Personal insights

 

 A fun romantic book was what I wanted to read. I get tired of reading books about an insecure lady who falls in love with a jerk. This book is not like that. The male love interest is not like most men in other romance books. 


I love how Carlos was a gentleman from the start. Carlos helps Nik get away from the cameras after being humiliated in public. When he meets Nikole's friends, he is kind to them. The man takes care of everyone he comes in contact with. 


The whole time I read about how much he loved others, I wanted to take him for myself! I can see he loves Nikole, just the way she is. This quote is my favorite quote.  It reflects how he sees and feels about Nik.

“He knew he loved her; he knew it to his core. He loved her for her kindness, her ability to laugh both at him and at herself, and her intelligence. But most of all, he loved her for the feeling he had when he sat next to her on his couch in silence or woke up next to her in bed, that feeling of peace and happiness. That he was with someone who understood him and everything about him. That everything was right with the world.”- Carlos

 

That quote was a beautiful sentiment and is something I would love for someone to say about me.   

 

Jasmine Guillory, The Proposal:

 

 She is kind to his friends and family. When he is sad, she also is supportive and comforts him. I like how she is not afraid to show affection to him. She often touches him or hugs him.


“He opened his arms for a hug. “Thanks for all of your help today. With the books, and everything else. Now I definitely owe you a drink. Next week?” She let the hug linger”- Carlos


She even laughs at his jokes and tries to make him feel better when he is down. Her banter with him is what I love most about this book. Nik laughs at herself and does not mind when he teases her. Those funny moments are the best part of this book.


Jasmine Guillory, The Proposal


I also picked this book because I love food. Jasmine Guillory is a romantic writer who loves baking. This is why the novel is filled with food references. Carlos and Nikole eat everything from cupcakes to spicy chicken wings. They eat every time they get together. 


Carlos and Nik even cook together. The cooking scene is an entertaining moment in the book. I was laughing hard when she had that kitchen accident. 


She was livid and cussing. Her reaction was hilarious. There are some funny moments in the book. However, some scenes had me with tears in my eyes.

“The end result of all of that is that he made sure that I don’t want to let anyone make me feel that bad ever again.

 

“I know honey, Dani said. That does not mean close yourself off to everyone forever. You are great at for being and there is no one else we have on our side for a fight. But it is okay to be vulnerable than just the two of us, you know?”

 

I can understand how she feels because rejection is heartbreaking. Those few lines show how and why Nik behaved the way she did. Why she recoiled and why she did not want to commit.

 

Conclusion


Carlos and Nikole have a delightful relationship that is not messy like some of the other books I have read in the past. I like the book for those reasons. 


I give the book 3 1/2 stars for not being a sad love story. It was sweet and straight to the point. The Proposal is an easy read for those who do not like graphic love scenes. This book is PG-13 because it has cursing and some sex scenes. I recommend this book and look forward to reading others written by the author. 





Disclaimer: 

Contains affiliate links and widgets from Books Amillion and Collective Voice in which I earn a small commission for you clicking and or purchasing any of these items. Thank you for your support.



You can find the Proposal: herehere, and here.  

Have you read this book before?  



Interested in learning about some more romantic foodie books:

budgetingbelle80: Black Romance Books for Foodies


Enjoy mysteries check out these books: 


budgetingbelle80: Mystery Books to Read this Fall


budgetingbelle80: Culinary Cozy Mysteries Books