Monday, January 22, 2024

How to have positive body image







How to have a positive body image? 

Let me tell you a secret. Having a positive body image is essential. Having it is necessary because it makes us feel better. If you have a positive body image it will manifest in other areas of your life. It will show up in how you work. It will also show up in how you navigate relationships. 

Having confidence in ourselves also helps us to limit ourselves. Instead of focusing on our flaws, we focus on what we can do. We are also more likely to care for our bodies if we love them. 

That is, I have been showing my love to myself. I am more confident in my body. I am not worried about my curvy tummy or how my arms look! I feel comfortable in what I wear. However, I was not always like that. I had to learn how to love myself. 

Today, I am sharing how I developed a love for my body. 

What does it mean to have a positive body image? 




This means feeling good about your body and what it can do. The focus is not so much on how you look. 



How can I have a positive body image? 

Curate your social media feed with more positive images.





Social media can be a good place. It is an excellent place to find new people and to share ideas. However, there are negative spaces. Some people only celebrate a particular body's hair, skin, and face type. Other users sometimes bully those who don't look a certain way. 

But you change what you see. I try to follow more body-positive people. The people I follow show diversity in who and what they post. I also follow individuals who are positive in how they talk about different bodies and races. 

You can find open-minded people by looking for those who support body-positive messages. You can also follow people who don't focus on bodies at all. 

Recognize there is diversity in bodies. 




Accept that people come in different shapes, sizes, and heights. Appreciate those differences instead of comparing yourself to others. 


Focus on what you love about yourself. 




It is time to focus on things you love about yourself. Focus on other things you like about yourself besides your body. The values and beliefs that you have for yourself. For example, if you are a kind person, focus on that. Whatever you love about yourself, say it. Write down 3 to ten things you like about yourself. Then say it every day. Look in the mirror and say, "I am (fill in the blank)." Or "I like how I can (fill in the blank)." I know it sounds silly, but it will help. 




Say something good about yourself. 







It is time to focus on things you love about yourself. Focus on other things you like about yourself besides your body. The values and beliefs that you have for yourself. For example, if you are a kind person, focus on that. Whatever you love about yourself, say it. Write down 3 to ten things you like about yourself. Say those affirmations you made every day. Look in the mirror and say, "I am (fill in the blank)." Or "I like how I can (fill in the blank)." I know it may feel silly, but it will help you. 


Have you ever said something negative about your body? Saying negative things about yourself makes things worse. If you want to feel better about yourself, please! Say positive things about yourself. 

Define Beauty on Your Own Terms








Now, this may seem the hardest because we are often bombarded by images and words from the media. They tell us what and who is considered to be pretty. There have been great strides in media today when it comes to diversity. There are still those who want to have a generic image of beauty. But do not let the media tell you that only one type of person is considered attractive. Not everyone else has the same opinion on what is pretty. People working in media and the beauty industry sometimes often change their minds about what is beautiful. It will drive anyone up the wall trying to keep up with the changes! So, it is time you start finding and embracing yourself. Inside and out. 



Think about what you can do. 






Focus on the fact your body can do things. For example, I focus on how my legs can take me for a walk.  Focus on the positive things you can do. Then think about what behaviors you can do to help your body. How you can continually make sure you take care and love your body. 



Take care of yourself 




Take better care of yourselves. One way is eating better. Eating healthier foods is one way. It also means eating when you are hungry. Getting your rest is also a way to take of yourself. Sleeping until you are rested. Take breaks when you need them. It also means having boundaries. That may mean that sometimes saying no. It may seem hard at first to say no. But you will get used to it and feel better. 




Learn to relax 






Take time to relax and step away from your hectic schedule. It may seem hard at first, but it may be the best for you.  Sometimes it is great to turn off your phone and get offline. Use that time to spend doing something fun with family or friends. Or even do an activity by yourself. Just do whatever gets you calm and happy.



Conclusion

These tips can help someone. I know doing this has helped me. One thing I have learned is to not be hard on myself. I make mistakes, but it does not mean I am a mistake. It just means that I am human, and I have flaws. But I don't have to let it define me! And you don't have to let it define you either!


If you love this post, you will love this one: 


Discussing what are self-love affirmations and the benefits of saying self-love affirmations.