Monday, April 17, 2023

Four Reasons Why You Should Never Be Afraid of Changing Your Career Again












As a kid, people would ask me what I wanted to be when I grow up, and each time I gave them a new answer. I wanted to be an artist on year. The next I wanted to be a vet because I loved animals. After that, I wanted to be a teacher which is what I pursuing now. As a kid, I thought I could do anything if I loved it. But there were a lot of careers would love to do. Which explains why I pursued multiple degrees.


Near the end of high school, I choose one of the many skills I had picked a major. I decided a year before graduating high school; I majored in pastry arts. Making pastries was something I loved to do. That is why I believed I made the right decision. Years later I realized it was the best thing for me. 










Why I don’t Regret Changing My Career 


When I went to school, I enjoyed the school and its location. What I did not enjoy was the cutthroat behavior of students and chefs. When I saw how other students were behaving, I realized I was not right for me. I did not want to change my personality just to stay at that college. 

If I stayed at that school or continued in that career, I could not spend time with my family. Being a chef requires you have few sick or work absences even if it is a family emergency. There were times I could not go home even for my great grandmother’s funeral because of the strict three absences rule. If a student missed over three excused absences they would face suspension. This rule caused a lot of students to drop out or receive a suspension. 

I received an academic suspension for one semester.  During that time I decided, I would not pursue a pastry art degree or career. It took some time but I concluded I should choose. 



I then pursued a history degree and later anthropology degree. For two years I worked at a historic site before; I realized it was not right for me either. One reason I did not pursue that career was because of the stress. 



The Career Was Too Stressful 

I don’t regret that decision because a career like that is stressful. I had to wake up around 4 AM or 5 AM when I was in school. But if I became I, chef, I would have to wake up earlier. I would also not return home until almost 11 PM. 


When others are enjoying their families on holidays, you will be in the kitchen cooking for hours. You also might have a boss like Gordon Ramsey screaming at you for hours and calling you out of your name. That stress alone is not worth the pay you will earn! 

I later found out that work at a historic site I would face some amount of stress. I had to deal with the public a lot and some people can be rude. This was even more taxing since my job was to tackle a serious historic event, slavery! It was hard hearing people say racist things and not being able to say anything back. I tired of having to hold my tongue when people had the audacity to be racist in front of a black woman (me)!

Tip: 



Make sure you choose a career that will not be detrimental to your physical and mental health. Your health is more important.  



The Career Had No Job Openings 

I  was more interested in the research and discussion of history than the pastry arts. The only problem with pursuing my love of history is the lack of job opening. This would be one of the main reasons I gave up my career in history. 




After I graduated I earned an internship at a historic site. That internship was the best job I ever had and I hoped they would hire me full time. Because of funding and the lack of openings at that site, I did not get a job there. 



It was hard for me to find a job because most of historic or museum positions were out of state and the pay was not worth moving cross country. It was two years after having that internship when I received a job at a historic site. 



The job I found was not great. My pay was low and I had to travel for almost 30 minutes from my home. I spent most of my earnings on gas and maintenance for my car. 


Tip: 





Make sure you pursue a career are in high demand. That way you can have your pick of any job. You are also more likely to find a closer job to where you live. 


No upward mobility 


Being a career as a historic interpreter did not allow me to have a fast track to a promotion.  Few people retire on time which leaves few vacancies. Despite that, I was determined to find out my odds of receiving a full-time position. 

One historic interpreter I would have to stay five years and volunteer my time before I may receive a position!  Most positions at other locations hired in the house! The odds of finding a job in another county was hard. 


Tip:

When pursuing a career found out how long it takes for a person to receive a promotion. Another detail you should ask or research is the retention and turnover rate a company before accepting a job


Impact on the community 


I realize being a teacher is not a glamorous job, but it has something all of those other jobs do not. Teaching allows me to have a greater impact on my community. When I become a teacher, I will help the next generation of students have a love of learning. The other careers I wanted to pursue I noticed I would not have as much as an impact on the community. I was not enriching their lives or making my community better. 









Conclusion:






I finally choose a career I love doing and feel inspired to do. It is hard sometimes pursuing this career and working in this field. But I love it despite the hardships and setbacks. That is why I going to continue doing it until I fall out of love with it! 




Please Share or Pin! 



For More Information About Changing Your Career: 

11 Tips to Make When Changing A Career via Muse 
Miserable at Work? How to Make a Career Change via Forbes

7 Reasons to Change Jobs, Even If You Don't Want To via Business Insider

Linked with: