Wednesday, July 31, 2024

How to Find Joy in Reading

How to Find Joy in Reading 






How to fall in love in reading 

It took me a while to overcome the challenge of getting back into reading. The reason was I had to read and study for my job. After looking for books and tons of paperwork, I felt exhausted from reading. Reading books became a chore for me. Instead of the pure enjoyment I had as a child. I persisted in my search until I found books I liked. I found books I enjoyed reading. My experience has taught me tricks to help a person get back into reading for enjoyment. Today I am going to share the tips I learned and used. 

 
Reread your old favorites. 
 

This is how I first started back to the habit of reading. I found books I read years ago and reread them. The ones I picked were books I enjoyed reading. Revisit that old mystery or even a young adult book you read as a teen. Choose ones that were your comfort books and ones that made reading fun. The books that make you fall in love with reading. 

 

Discover what you like. 


 

If you enjoy adventure movies or TV shows, try reading adventure books. For those who love watchin Bridgerton, you may enjoy period romantic books.  Whatever your interests are, use that as your frame of reference to find the book for you. You can discover different genres and storylines that will captivate your interest. Find the books you love. 

 

Sample it.

 

Did you discover a new mystery online? Read a sample of it first before purchasing the book. That way, if the first chapter or page is not interesting, you will not have to waste your money on a book you dislike or will read. 

 

 

Use Audio Books

 






I know people may feel that using audiobooks is not reading, but it is reading. You are still listening to a book and gaining information. Audiobooks are also good for those who dislike sitting still or for those who commute. One of the plus sides to using audio books is people do not ask you what you are reading. You can read what you want without people being in your business.

 

Look online for easy reads. 

 

With book taken, Twitter, and Instagram books, recommendations are endless. People online mention books that are fun and easy to read. Follow the top book bloggers and authors in genres you may like or become your favorite. That way, you will always get a book recommendation that is easy to find. You will also see what others think about that book before you read it. 

 

 

Ask your librarian for book recommendations.







 

Most use social media for book recs, but your local librarian can provide recommendations. Librarians would tell you if they liked the book you have picked. Sometimes they would even recommend similar series or authors. They will also let you know when new books are coming out. Librarians know what they are talking about, they are there to help you find the best books. 

Join book clubs. 

 

People in your local community may already have a book club you can join. You can also create your own with your friends or family members. You can also try online book clubs. Goodreads has book clubs you can join. Other social media platforms, like Instagram and Twitter, also have book communities you can join. 

 

Set a goal.

 

Most goals you see on social media are about reading one hundred books a year. That goal may be too lofty for those people who are just getting back into reading. Stick with smaller, more attainable goals like “I will read five minutes a day” or “I will read during my break time.” This takes the pressure off you and helps you to ease back into reading for pleasure. 

 

Replace doom scrolling or TV time with reading. 

 

After work, I watch TV or scroll through social media. I watched less TV and did less doom scrolling. I can replace those habits of reading books.

 

Create a comfortable environment. 






 

Find a nice quiet space with good lighting. People even create a book corner or comfortable nook for their book reading. Add pieces that make you feel comfortable such as pillows or cozy chairs. Have your books you want to read in that area. Store your book on bookshelves, charts, or even baskets. 

Read different genres. 

 

I have always loved mysteries, but sometimes we need a break. I remember when I always wanted to read Nancy Drew books. But one day a teacher suggested I read Anne of Green Gables. I thought she was wrong for suggesting I give up reading my favorite, but I loved the book. I then read others for that series. To find a genre, think about your other interests. For example, if you love music, you may love reading fiction books that feature musicians. You might find a new favorite book or genre.

Think about the benefits of reading. 

 

Reading can be fun but also helpful. In one research project conducted by Dijkic et al., those who read even for hours a week could retain information. According to a study by Avni Bavishsi et al., people who read also lived longer. Reading fictional books is also beneficial. Those who read fiction are more likely to understand others and have empathy. 



Conclusion: 


I am glad that I love reading books. The reason is that I read what I love. I find books with topics or characters I can relate to or would like to know. That is how you get back to reading find the things you love and reading about it. 


 Bavishi, A., Slade, M., and Levy, B., (2016). A Chapter a Day: Association of Book Reading with Longevity. Social Science & Medicine, 164, 44-48. 

Djikic, M., Oatley, K., & Moldoveanu, M. C. (2013). Opening the Closed Mind: The Effect of Exposure to Literature on the Need for Closure. Creativity Research Journal25(2), 149–154. https://doi.org/10.1080/10400419.2013.783735




Find books to read: 


Plus Size Romance Books

Black Romance Foodie Books

Cozy Culinary Mystery Books

Mystery Books to Read